Monday, June 25, 2012

Recipe for pappu annam (paripu sadam) for 6 month old

Here is the recipe for Pappu Annam (dal-rice) Actually, people in India start feeding infants with cereal after they complete 3rd month itself. So, by the time the annaprasanna is done in 6th month, kids are usually ready for mashed rice. I started Megha with cereal only after she competed 5 months. Needless to say, she is just not ready to take anything even with a little bit of grain. Anyway, here is the recipe. It's fairly simple. My sil showed me how to do it. It was her who fed her rice for the first time after annaprasanna but Megha didn't like the taste at all. poor thing, sil really did mash it well and tried it but no luck.

Rice: 2 tbsp Dal (toor dal/kandi or moong dal): 1 tbsp Salt: a pinch (optional) Ghee: 3 drops Soak rice and dal in water for 30 mins. Pressure cook with a lot of water. I usually keep for 4 whistles and it comes out fine. 

 It's not advisable to feed salt to babies. But almost everyone in India does it. We (sil and I) tried feeding Megha without salt and she just wouldn't have it. So we gave in and added a little salt and a little ghee (homemade).  Initially I mashed it and gave it to her. She was revolted by the taste, even though I mashed it thoroughly. Aftr 2 days of failure, my sister vineeela  suggested that I use mixer grinder and grind it fine.

That's what I did and voila! She had 6 spoons! I know, it's not much but at least it's a start! After feeding her 6 spoons, she made some chocking sounds. So, I stopped and fed her the oat cereal until she is full. That's how the journey to rice began. I am not planning on giving her rice again until  3 weeks. I want to introduce veggies and fruits slowly. Just wanted to make sure she eats rice, that's how the introduction to the flavor started.

No comments:

Post a Comment