Sunday, June 29, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream for Toddler's

Megha Loves ice cream, just like any other kid. Lately I had been trying to make some of her snacks at home like cookies/cupcakes/juice pops etc and thought its about time I try the ice cream. I ordered the Cuisinart ice cream maker and was awaiting delivery. However, megha wanted ice cream the weekend before. So, I made it from the scratch thinking Ice Cream was around for a far longer period before the machine was invented...and I wasnt wrong. Lol

I followed Ina Garten's recipe: here is the link if anyone wants to make it to the T: Ina Garten's Vanilla Ice Cream
I made a couple of alterations to suit my needs better, basically less fat as I used 1:1 ratio of cream and milk instead or using just cream: yelids 1 quart
Ingredients: 
Heavy Cream: 1.5 cups (original recipe says 3 cups)
Milk: 1.5 cups (original recipe excludes this)
Sugar: 2/3 cups
Vanilla Extract: 2 tsp (Original Recipe uses 1 tsp extract and small scraped Vanilla Bean)

Method:
Heat everything in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Cover and chill in a fridge. If you are using ice cream maker, spoon the ingredients into the maker after the mixture has well chilled and follow the manufactures instructions.

Last week, my ice cream maker was yet to be delivered. So, I followed the traditional method without a machine. Here is how you make it, if you dont have an ice cream maker; mind you its some work: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

Megha's verdict: "Emmmmm....soooo Yummmmmy".

There is something about homemade ice cream! Though not as creamier as the store bought ones (due to less cream and no-machine), we still managed to lick the bowl clean in under 4 nights! 

No comments:

Post a Comment