Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pumpkin and apple purée for 8 months

I have been meaning to give this to Megha for a long time now. Since fall is almost on its way, I though it high time I give this to her so that when fall is truly here, I can make things like pumpkin soup etc.

There is a special twist to this; I specially added this for the benefit of Baby Ragini, my friends daughter. She likes her food sweet and hence this special dish to pacify her sweet tooth. Hope Ragini likes it as much as Megha did. I made this for lunch but Megha tasted this as snack.

You will need:
Apples: 1 cup (appr 1 apple)
Pumpkin: fresh or canned pie pumpkin, 1/2 cup. You can also use pie pumpkin purée
Vanilla essence: 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon:  1/4 tsp (you can reduce this if you want)
Apple juice: 1/2 cup (to make it sweeter)

Method:
Peel and core the apples and cut into small pieces
Peel and chop the pumpkin into small pieces. If you are using canned or frozen, that's fine too. I used pie pumpkin pulp.
Place apples and pumpkin in a sauce pan and add vanilla essence, cinnamon and apple juice.
Cook on medium flame; stir occasionally until apples are properly cooked. Take about 20 kins
Cool and purée

Tips:
Choosing the sweetest apples is the trick. I used royal gala apples
If you want to sweeten this further, you can add dates syrup but that might overpower with sweetness.

Megha had her first taste today. She is ok with it.
Make sure to use pie pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment